Monday, January 31, 2011

Soul food, is it only in the south?

It is interesting to think of food as having a soul, being something that has a power, something that is transcendent, isn't it--especially when many people think that animals don't have souls? I think that food is the back bone, the core and the commonality of life.

So that being said, is there just food on one end and the soul on the other? Is it the food that has the soul, or the person/people who prepares the meal with the soul, or is it the effort that goes into the preparation that the food develops a soul after being stirred, seasoned and gently bubbling for hours?

The term Soul Food became popular in the 1960's but its origins go back to slave trading in the 15th century. When the Euro-African exploration was taking place in the 14th century, the Europeans brought their food staples with them (corn, turnips, and cabbage to name a few). This would end up playing a very important role in what the slaves where cooking on the plantations a century later- for the knowledge of different ingredients allowed them to begin to understand and develop a palate for a new cuisine. The slaves were usually given the left-overs, or the unused parts of the animal from the main meal on the plantation (oxtail, pig ears, feet, tripe, etc.) this was paired along with new foods such as kale, collard greens and chard. Their food had to be simple, needed to be delicious as possible, and it had to be filling. This was the way of life for many Africans in the south. Their recipes were handed down orally from one generation to another and became the common thread that connected people who were sorely abused and taken advantage of.

Today, I doubt that when the term soul food is mentioned that enslaved Africans on plantations is conjured up in the mind. I think that it is more in lines of food that is full-flavored, tended over for hours, and inspires happy and convivial thoughts...and yes, a flavor profile from the south. But that being said, and always remembering what thousands of slaves had to endure and what their sacrifices meant, is there food that is created far from the south that can still have a soul, that it could possibly be called... "Soul Food"?

I am not intending to diminish the southern cuisine at all, I find it absolutely delicious (ummmm....GUMBO to name just one). I am just thinking that I know what my husband and I cook on a regular basis and what many of my friends cook (Lauren) and there is soul there, there is life that pours into the food and the ingredients. When I make risotto and I am stirring constantly for 22 minutes there is love in that dish, there is my effort being stirred into that arborio rice to make it creamy and starchy wonderfulness. I therefore ask, can food that is made with passion and love (even with 5 ingredients) be "soul food."

Since I believe in the power of food I don't think it off to think of it as having a "soul." In my opinion food is the common thread of people throughout the world and in that commonality there has to be a soul. And for many, food conjures up memories, for some happy, for some longing, but the bottom line is that food connects. And when it is, and it often is, made with love I think that that too can be "soul food."

No comments:

Post a Comment